Monday, September 15, 2008

Fall of Lehman Bros.

Tell me if I'm overreacting, but I am very nervous about what is happening to our economy. I have experienced this downfall first hand when I was laid off from my first job out of college on January 23, 2008. Luckily for me, I was able to get another job a week later, but never have I felt so lost, even for that short time. How was I going to pay my rent? Pay my student loans? Pay my bills? Then there was the fall of Bear Stearns where thousands of people lost their jobs. Finance majors were looked to as being "the shit" and making big bucks after college, but now they probably take the lead in unemployment as an entire profession. Is anyone's job safe nowadays?

Throughout this day, the news has covered the bankruptcy of Lehman Bros. with a tone of voice that is lacking confidence and holds sadness. I'm scared, I have minimal money in the banks, and I do not know what the future holds for me and for our nation. All I can do is keep working and try to stay positive. My optimistic view about these issues is the fact that this is not our nation's first time with economic hardships....The Depression and numerous recessions throughout U.S. history - most recently in the 1980's, 1990's, times post-9/11. I like to think this is how the economy works, and how life works in general. Before things get better, they get have to get worse...right?

No comments: