Sunday, August 31, 2008

MoMa: Salvador Dali

                        (Above: Huge photo of Dali in front of the exhibit)
 (Above: Dali's work in the dream sequence of Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbound)
                        (Above: The Lobster Phone....awesome!)
                        (Above: The white image is said to be the profile of Dali)
     (Above: Dali & Disney's ultra trippy animation "Destino")

I have been in NY for over a year now and I have only been to one museum, The Met (the Metropolitan Museum). I must be crazy because NY has so many museums and galleries to explore and appreciate.  After a recommendation from Ms. Courtney to see the Salvador Dali exhibit at the MoMa (Museum of Modern Art), my friends and I decided to go this past Saturday. After hesitating on whether to show my expired student ID to get a discount or not (I chickened out), we headed to the 6th floor to the Dali exhibit. Wow, what an awesome display it was. It was compiled of a few rooms, each with it's own era of Dali's work as well as his participation in many films over the years. I had known of some of his artwork, but I had no idea about his love of motion pictures. My favorite was his collaboration with Disney called "Destino", which was the trippiest, most beautiful animation I have ever seen. I also noticed his signature illustrations he placed in his artwork, like a shoe, glass of milk, melting clock, his use of blue, gold, and red...and so much more.  How intriguing! I don't know enough about artwork to critique it, but I do know I loved the Dali exhibit!

1 comment:

Courtney Allison said...

My favorite thing was Destino also!! I would have been one confused little girl had I seen that film with all my other Disney classics growing up!