Monday, August 18, 2008

Jumping on the Bandwagon

According to Wikipedia, the Bandwagon Effect "is the observation that people often do and believe things because many other people do and believe the same things." Perhaps you can call me a technological lemur of sorts who decides to follow the blogging bandwagon. So here goes nothing!

As a rather new person to NYC, having lived here for about a year now, I have noticed how important blogging is to this city. With millions upon millions of people living in this city, I suppose blogging is a way to make this place feel smaller, to make a person feel more acquainted to their surroundings, and to allow each person to be a critic in their own right. How could anyone decipher on their own which bar has the best Happy Hour, or which Vietnamese restaurant has the most authentic Pho? I trust the comments I read on NYMag.com or Yelp.com, and I like to read the opinions of my fellow New Yorkers. There is something comforting about finding common interests with hundreds of people you've never met, yet discover many like the same chocolate-foie gras dish from P*Ong, or find you are not the only one who knows about MGMT. 

So if I am so interested in reading blogs, why haven't I joined one myself? I guess it's because I lack writing confidence, but I have finally decided to come out from behind the computer screen and become a participant in the cyber world. I want to share my views about this ever-growing, over-crowded, and highly expensive city. I want to share the beautiful, interesting, and thought-provoking things I come across each day.  I want to express my gratefulness for each breath I take, each sight I see, and each taxi horn and police siren I hear. So thanks for reading mis amigos!

No comments: