Monday, August 25, 2008

3 Types of People

My friend read an article stating there are 3 types of people in Manhattan:
1) Those born, raised, and who remain in Manhattan tend to take it for granted.
2) The bridge and tunnel people who are guilty of bringing in the traffic; therefore, causing the street congestion.
3) Those who are transplants, who moved from somewhere else; they bring passion to this city.

Being from Indiana, maybe I'm a bit bias, but I think there is some truth to this statement.
In response to the above three statements:
1) I work with many people who have lived in New York City their entire lives and they have not been to many of the places I have been (and I've been here for a little over a year now).
2)Most people in Manhattan do not have cars; therefore, how could we cause all the traffic?
3) I love this city, and although I no longer claim myself as a tourist, I have no shame in whipping out my camera on the streets, looking up at the Empire State Building, and window shopping on 5th Ave.

Call me corny, but I love the following about NYC:
* The Statue of Liberty -She is beautiful, just admit it. There is nothing touristy about seeing Lady Lib and what she stands for. We are truly lucky to live in this country...bad economy and all.
* The City Skyline - My BF lives in Jersey and I can't help but stare at the cityscape while I'm heading out of the Lincoln Tunnel. If you have seen the Chicago skyline, or any other skyline, there is just no comparison to NY.
* Manhattan is an island - I have lived in Indiana my entire life before coming to NY, and there is nothing more claustrophobic than living in a flat, boring, land-locked state. Although there many lakes close by, and I am from the city "famous" for their 3 rivers, the flat farmland is just so blah. Manhattan, on the other hand, is of course surrounded by water, and crossing bridges and going into tunnels is actually exciting to me. I love looking over the Hudson when crossing the GW Bridge, or being amazed going underneath the Hudson via the Lincoln Tunnel. Water....not only can you drink it (although I do not suggest drinking out of the Hudson), but it is a refreshing sight to see.

No comments: