Thursday, August 21, 2008

Duh...I Must Mention My Meals


Food positively consumes my life. I guess you can say it is my one true passion. I always thought I never had one hobby or interest I really enjoyed, and then I realized that I love food! While some people go gaga over running into a Gossip Girl set or the cast of the Real Housewives of NYC. I get giddy over the possibility of running into Bobby Flay or Masaharu Morimoto while eating at their restaurants. I'm constantly thinking of new recipes throughout the day, and I consider my weekly grocery trip a "night out". My girlfriends (who equally love food as much as I do) enjoy meeting at Whole Foods on Houston St. just to get some dinner and go shop together, where we share new recipes and seek out new foods.

Wednesday's Dinner (8/20/08): Roasted Red Pepper Brown Rice and Meatballs
So when I said I haven't purchased or cooked raw meat it, I meant it. However, a co-worker of mine was given a few bags of Cosco (bulk shopping store not found in NYC) meatballs, of course I offered to take a bag off her hands. These tasty licks have been useful in pasta dishes, but I decided to switch it up a bit and use them with some brown rice I had. While the rice was cooking, I sauteed some red onions, chopped carrots, and spinach. When the rice was just about done, I threw in a few frozen meatballs to thaw out (since they were already cooked), and then I combined the veggies, rice, and meatballs with roasted red pepper sauce (365 Organic brand from Whole Foods) and voila! Just to add a little richness, I threw in some shaved parmesan. "Yummo" as Rachel Ray would say!

Thursday's Dinner (8/21/08): Freeman's
I went to Freeman's tonight (located on Freeman's Alley off Rivington) with my friends Stephanie and Sue from work. They have both been there a few times, and I have been meaning to, but there has always been a crazy wait. We went after work, thinking it wouldn't be crowded, but little did we know everyone must have gotten off work early because this place was packed at 7PM. However, we were lucky to score a little table up front and we gladly took it (See photo of Freeman's above).

The ladies raved about the Hot Artichoke Dip, so we started with that, and it was definitely delic! Being from Indiana, the artichoke dip is mostly cheese, but this had tons of artichoke in it, which I liked. We each got a drink, Sue and Steph got a little concoction with fresh raspberries, and I got a glass of the house Sauvignon Blanc. Sue ordered the Mac n Cheese and a house salad, while Steph ordered the truffle mashed potatoes and the salad, and I ordered the fried chicken with chive waffles, pickled green tomatoes, and lavender honey. OMG....delicious!! It's meals like this that make me realize I could never become a full-time vegetarian.

No comments: