Thursday, August 21, 2008

Breaking Free of the Indiana Choke-hold


Being from Indiana, there is not a lot of room for freedom of expression. It's as if I lived in a beehive of drones; people who all graduated high school, got a blue collar job at the age of 18 or went to the local college, got married by 19, and have at least one child by the age of 21. Don't get me wrong, it can be a happy life for some, but for me, no way! There was no way I wanted to live my life like everyone else in my small hometown they call the second biggest city in Indiana. I always craved more, more culture, more diversity, more livelihood. Some people are happy with a "simple" life, but I think my life is pretty simple. I wake up, eat a bowl of cereal, go to work, perhaps go for a drink or dinner with friends, come home, go to bed, start all over again in the morning. I guess the difference between a NY simple life and one from Indiana, is that I have more options to explore here. There is more to do in NY than go up to the lake house in the summer or take country drives.
Like I said, some people find those activities to be the best feeling in the world, but me, I need more.
The one thing I am happy to take with me from the Midwest is my ability to be more conservative with my money. In NY, a polyester dress from the 70's could be sold at a vintage shop in the L.E.S. for $150, and I could get the same dress in Indiana for $2 at the Goodwill. I know how to stretch my dollar more than many people I know in this city. Maybe that is more of what my parents instilled in me over what the Midwest is about, but none-the-less, Indiana does not like to splurge on restaurants and clothing...two things I spend a majority of my money on. Just tonight, me and some work friends went to Freeman's for dinner and spent about $40-$50 for a random night out. Spending this amount of money for one meal in Indiana is reserved for birthdays and anniversaries, not just any night out. To me this is not indulging, it is enjoying oneself.

I am not totally bashing the Midwest. I have an amazing family there (see photo of my house above), great friends, and many fond memories. I was able to live a stereotypical all-american life, and I have no regrets on being born and raised there. It has made me who I am today, and I enjoy who I am! I don't think I would appreciate all this city has to offer if it wasn't for my Midwest upbringing. I am truly blessed!

No comments: