Monday, November 17, 2008

24 Years


November 18th marks my 24th birthday. Being 24 means that I only have 41 years left of working. Being 24 means I am one year shy of being a quarter of a century old. Being 24 means I have been of the legal drinking age for 3 years. Not young, not old. My feelings on this? I'm kind of numb to it really.

Birthdays have never been that big of a deal to me, and I blame it on my Vietnamese background. It's mostly Western culture that celebrates birthdays as we know it. Vietnamese and many other Asian cultures believe your animal year (Chinese astrology) is more important than your actual years. I'm a Rat (Like Splinter or the rats I see jumping out of trash cans in the city).
According to a website I found, "Rat is respected and considered a courageous, enterprising person. People born in the Year of Rat are clever and bright, sociable and family-minded. They have broad interests and strong ability in adapting to the environment and able to react adequately to any changes." Being a Rat doesn't sound so bad when you put it in those words. Also, 2008 just so happens to be the Year of the Rat, and I will say it has been quite a year.

Cheers to my years!

No comments: