Friday, May 20, 2011

Paleo Challenge: Day 6


I've actually begun to lose some weight. It's only a pound or so, but at least it's something! Tonight I made rosemary flax seed crackers. I looked around on the web for an easy recipe, and found a few that I liked. I made my own Frankenstein hybrid of a few recipes, so basically came up with my own version. I don't own a measuring cup, so I just eyeballed everything. I must have a good eye because everything turned out great.

Ingredients:
  • Flax meal (ground up flax seeds)
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Sesame seeds
  • Garlic powder
  • Dried rosemary
  • Sea salt
  • Agave nectar
  • Water
I mixed all of the ingredients together, trying to incorporate the wet ingredients in a good ratio to the dry (making sure it wasn't too wet). I sprayed a baking sheet with olive oil then spooned the mixture into 6 big flat circles and stuck it into a 375 degree oven. After about 15 minutes, I turned the crackers over, cut them in half to make it easier to bake, then I baked another 15 minutes. I then sprinkled some pecorino that I chopped up (because I also do not own a cheese grater). Stuck it back in the oven for 5 minutes, took them out, let them cool.

According to WebMD, flaxseed is a super food and has many health benefits:
  • Omega-3 essential fatty acids, "good" fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s.
  • Lignans, which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75- 800 times more lignans than other plant foods
  • Fiber. Flaxseed contains both the soluble and insoluble types.

These were sooo good! I'm excited to have found such an easy way to get my cracker fix without ruining my diet (except for the cheese).

No comments: