Friday, January 9, 2009

Learning My A, B, C's


While I was home over Christmas, I sat with my dad and attempted to learn the Vietnamese alphabet. Although both my parents are Vietnamese, I am not fluent in the language. I can; however, understand 99% of things being said to me in Vietnamese, but I do not know the alphabet and cannot speak back in full Vietnamese (more like viet-english). The only things I can spell are names. My dad says it's because I did not want to learn it when I was younger, but I say what kid wants to learn things outside of school? Nonetheless, I am mostly illiterate in my ancestors' language and am quite ashamed of it. So my attempt to learn the alphabet was not quite succcessful as I am so accustomed at saying letters in the American tongue. I will keep practicing though!

No comments: