Thursday, January 29, 2009

In The Heights


I attended my second Broadway show called "In The Heights" and it was fabuloso. It's about 3 days in the lives of Dominican-Americans living in New York's Washington Heights (upper upper west side Manhattan). It's a mix of hip-hop and salsa-type music and dance, and the show even won a Tony Award for Best Musical!

I could relate to the story of Nina and her immigrant parents who do all they can to give their daughter a better life, and I saw my parents in the characters Kevin and Camila. I also loved the smooth raps of Usnavi and the inspiring/amazing dances by the cast (especially Graffiti Pete)

Although we sat in the rear mezzanine for most of the show (we were allowed to move up at intermission), it was a great show to see. I can't wait for my next one!

No comments: